2018 Healthy Families Priorities
A strong family means a stronger Missouri
Increasing Access to Family Planning
Family planning is essential to securing the well-being and autonomy of women and men, while supporting the health and development of communities. We support the Women's Health Services Program, 12-month dispensing of contraception, as well as expanding access to long-acting reversible contraception (LARC).
Improving Infant and Maternal Health
The well-being of mothers and children determines the health of the next generation and helps predict future public health challenges. We are committed to extending postpartum Medicaid coverage and banning the shackling of pregnant women in correctional facilities.
Reducing Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
Missouri has some of the nation's highest STI rates. We can combat this alarming trend by ensuring young people have medically accurate information about their sexual health and by establishing a needle exchange program, which can help prevent the spread of communicable diseases such as Hepatitis and HIV.
Reducing Barriers to Care
Ensuring every Missourian has access to high-quality health care includes fighting against medically unnecessary restrictions, protecting minors' ability to apply for Medicaid, and ensuring full practice authority or transition to practice for nurse practitioners.
Strengthening Family Care
Establishing an equitable and efficient system of paid family leave means working families will no longer have to choose between caring for their loved ones and risking their economic security. Paid family leave is inextricably linked to economic opportunity. When parents are forced to abandon caring for their children or relatives for a paycheck, the whole family suffers.
Organizations that Support the Healthy Families Priorities
- Butler County Health Department
- Community Action Partnership of North Central Missouri
- East Missouri Action Agency - Women's Wellness Center
- Economic Security Corporation of Southwest Area
- Family Planning Clinic of Franklin County
- Generate Health
- Missouri Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Missouri Community Action Network
- Missouri Family Health Council
- Missouri Nurses Association
- NARAL Pro-Choice Missouri
- Northeast Community Action Corporation
- National Council of Jewish Women
- Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri
- Randolph County Health Department
- Social Welfare Board
- Stoddard County Public Health Center
- Teen Pregnancy & Prevention Partnership
- Tri-Rivers Family Planning, Inc.